10C Shared Space Inclusion Policy
The purpose of 10C Shared Space is to create ideas for social innovations for the public good. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that all are welcome to collaborate here and to treat each other with respect and dignity. The information here will put in place procedures that will ensure that everyone will have access to 10C’s facilities.
Unacceptable Behaviour: 10C is committed to a culture of diversity, free of discrimination in which all individuals are treated with respect, are able to contribute fully, and have equal opportunities. We do not permit discrimination or harassment of anyone in our space, such as: disruption of events; aggressive, derogatory, or threatening comments; destructive behaviour; oppression; unwanted physical contact or sexual attention; or violence of any type.
Harassment: Deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography, or recording.
Destructive Behaviour: Damaging or altering any part of the building, inside or out, including furniture, equipment, or other people’s belongings.
Physical Violence: Intentional or unintentional physical force, statement, or behaviour that is reasonable to interpret as a threat. Anyone who believes they are at risk of violence including domestic violence, must advise their employer, organization and/or 10C. No physical aggression will be tolerated in our space.
Psychological and Emotional Violence: Characterized by a person subjecting, or exposing, another person to behaviour that may result in psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder. We ask that you take care when interacting with each other, as everyone has different emotional needs.
Exclusionary Actions: Denying certain participants opportunities to share views, skills and other contributions; and creating or reinforcing an inequitable learning environment.
Oppressive Behaviour: Any conduct that demeans, marginalizes, rejects, threatens, or harms anyone on the basis of identity, background, race, gender, socioeconomic status, appearance or ability. Please consider whether your actions may intentionally or inadvertently be oppressive.
Staff, Coworkers, Volunteers, Members, Guests, Event Space Users, Program Participants, and Service Providers
Responsible Party: Executive Director
Additional Authority: Community Animator
- Policy Statement
10C Shared Space welcomes and advocates for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of ability, age, body size, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, perspective, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, status as parent, socioeconomic status, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities therein. We recognize, embrace, and value our differences. We believe that everyone should be treated with respect and dignity as a part of our commitment to putting people and planet first. We stress that everyone is to be a part of the solution.
Our staff, volunteers, and community are committed to ensuring that everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We are constantly learning and ask for your understanding and solutions as we co-create a model of the just world we want – a place where everyone feels welcome, comfortable, and empowered.
We ask that everyone who is a part of 10C take responsibility for their speech and behaviour and remains mindful of:
- Using words that are inclusive and avoiding exclusive language that is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, classist, transphobic, cissexist, or ableist.
- Always act out of respect and concern for the free expression of others (within the limits of this policy).
- Actively listening to others, sharing speaking opportunities and not dominating discussions.
- Respecting physical and emotional boundaries. Always ask before touching, and be thoughtful about discussing topics that may be emotionally triggering.
- Not making assumptions about identity, experiences, or preferred pronouns.
- Not engaging in favouritism.
We invite you to humbly accept respectful correction (or correcting yourself), keeping in mind that the impact of your words on other people is more important than your intent. In this way, we will all learn and grow while building an inclusive community.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately. On 10C’s part, we will do what we can within our legal and resource limits, and may bring in outside help if it is deemed appropriate to do so.
If any issues or concerns arise, please be aware of our process:
- Face-to-Face: If comfortable to do so, we strongly encourage the parties involved to speak to one another – keeping in mind our suggested guidelines – as we have found that issues can often be resolved this way. If this approach is not possible, any issues or concerns can be escalated in the following way:
- An informal complaint: involves discussing the issues with a 10C staff member to collaboratively understand and resolve the issue(s).
- A formal complaint process: must be put into writing and given to a 10C staff member. The scope of the ensuing investigation or process will be determined on a case-by-case basis. What will be kept confidential will be addressed during the complaint process, and will respect requests for confidentiality.
- Mediation: involves an objective third party. If mediation is determined to be the appropriate process, a discussion occurs with the 10C representative to select an appropriate trained mediator, either internal or external depending on the nature of the complaint.