Last updated February 9, 2018
ALCOHOL POLICY for on-site alcohol at 10 Carden Shared Space (10C)
10 Carden Shared Space (10C), its members, and non-members will abide by the terms of the relevant Special Occasion Permit (SOP) issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Further, 10 Carden, its members and non-members will ensure that only Smart Serve Responsible Alcohol Beverage Service Training Program serve alcohol at any events held at 10 Carden Shared Space. (www.smartserve.ca).
Additionally, as 10 Carden Shared Space’s insurance policy does not have blanket liquor liability coverage, additional party and/or liquor liability insurance (PAL) is required for certain uses and users of the facility located at 42 Carden Street in Guelph:
- 10 Carden and its members (members of the organization) do NOT require PAL insurance for liquor liability, at events provided that we are not SELLING alcohol. This includes board meetings, small member gatherings offered by 10C and its members. If an event is open to the public, for example an art-opening, an SOP must be obtained.
- All other uses, including non-members with non-sale alcohol uses and ANY user of the facilities SELLING alcohol requires separate PAL insurance (or other comparable liquor coverage) AND an SOP for a private or public event as applicable. Comparable liquor insurance coverage may be structured as a non-member’s own commercial general liability insurance covering alcohol at off-site events. In this instance, the non-member would add both 42 Carden Shared Space and 10 Carden Shared Space to their policy as “additional insured” for the period of the event. A Certificate of Insurance would be required to be submitted to 10 Carden Shared Space in advance of the event.
In both circumstances, alcohol should NEVER be served or sold by any individual or organization while any license required by law is suspended, or after such license expires, is cancelled or revoked, or the organization is knowingly in violation of any statute, ordinance or regulation.The SOP compliance form lists a number of responsibilities of the SOP holder, including that alcohol will NEVER be served during unauthorized hours and or to a minor. Please review ALL of the terms related to the SOP once filed.
For background information prior to applying for an SOP, please review the Responsible Service Tip Sheet at: https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/files/3201_1.pdf
FAQ – Steps to take should you wish to use a 10C space and serve alcohol.
1) Provide a request to 10C to include alcohol in your event. An online form (at the end of this page) has been set up to manage these requests. The provision of alcoholic beverages on 10C premises must be approved in writing by 10C staff prior to your booking. Any unapproved alcohol distribution in 10C Meeting Rooms will result in the inability to book 10C space in the future, a potential financial penalty, and potential legal ramifications, as 10C is not a licensed facility.
2) Next visit the Special Occasion Permit (SOP) section at the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) web site.
- This infographic will help you decide which type of SOP you require:
- To learn more and to sign up for an SOP:
3) Insurance. If you have existing commercial insurance, call your insurance representative to inquire about whether your policy includes alcohol coverage for off-site events. If you require insurance, PAL Insurance Brokers offer Special Event Insurance Coverage and Party or Alcohol Liability Insurance. Once you have reviewed details, during the online process, you will be asked to select level over coverage. You must select $5M liability insurance, as this is the amount of insurance required by 10 Carden Shared Space and 42 Carden Shared Space. Visit the PAL Canada web site for more information.
4) Questions? A 10C team ([email protected]) can assist with questions to help direct you to the Special Occasions Permit (SOP) from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario and to PAL insurance when required. Please leave plenty of time (2-3 weeks) prior to your event to coordinate permits/insurance.
5) Confirmation and Waiver. A waiver will need to be signed when you make your booking. The 10C team will coordinate this with you.
I understand and agree to comply with the 10 Carden Shared Space (10C) Alcohol Policy. I am also aware that breaking the alcohol policy will result in penalties including possible cancellation of my membership with and/or use of 10C and/or criminal charges.