September 22, 2021
Dear members and 10C community,
Please find updates to 10C On-Site Covid-19 health and safety protocols relevant to current public health policies and procedures, as well as important information about vaccination policies.
In July, the 10C team commenced a slow phase-in of on-site activities.
In addition to Nourish kitchen, office uses, and coworking, 10C can now accommodate meetings and bookings by members with advance pre-booking required.
10C is continuing to phase-in activities and staffing, including increased volunteer engagement, front-entrance drop-in, hot-desking, in-person and hybrid programming, and many of the other things that made 10C such a lively place prior to the pandemic. We will gradually phase-in these activities throughout the fall, being mindful of the evolving state of the pandemic.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
On September 1, the Ontario government announced that as of September 22, residents will need to show full proof of vaccination (two doses at least 14 days prior) along with photo ID, to enter certain indoor establishments, including meeting and event spaces. This will apply to all staff, volunteers, members, coworkers and event or meeting attendees at 10C.
10C is a vaccination advocate. Based on information from the Public Health Agency of Canada, our local Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health unit, in addition to all public health measures we have put in practice, vaccination is one of the most important tools that we have at our disposal at this point. To protect each other, including those with medical conditions and children under 12 who are not yet able to be vaccinated, 10C is encouraging all who are medically able to be vaccinated, to please vaccinate.
In Guelph, thanks to the work of our citizens and Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health, we are fortunate for very high vaccination rates, which as a community we have instilled, for the protection of each other. At this point in the pandemic, public health policies including vaccination, masking, and distancing measures, have supported relatively low local levels of Covid transmission.
10C Staff and Volunteers:
- 10C is mandating proof of vaccination for all EXISTING and NEW staff roles (virtual and on-site) at 10C. We have a 100% vaccination rate on the 10C team;
- All volunteers who will be volunteering on-site for 10C must be fully vaccinated;
- 10C staff and volunteers will agree to readily disclose their vaccination status to any members, volunteers, partners or guests who ask and will commit to facilitating a respectful dialogue about this complex issue.
For 10C members, Nourish kitchen members, coworkers, event hosts and all others:
- You must be fully vaccinated to access 10C. This includes all members with private offices, full-time coworkers, part-time coworkers, Grad Lab students, Nourish kitchen members and any other member or person who will be on site for that amount of time on a regular basis.
- The only exception to this is written proof of a medical reason, provided by a physician or registered nurse that sets out: (i) a documented medical reason for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and (ii) the effective time period for the medical reason.
- To indicate vaccination status, members and coworkers can complete this online form. All vaccination verifications for staff, volunteers and members noted above will be completed by 10C staff (Katie and Julia) by collecting and viewing the individual’s second dose vaccination receipt. This can be downloaded at any time at covid19.ontariohealth.ca. This information has your name, date of birth, and vaccination information. Your health card number is not included in this document. We will hold this information in confidence.
- Event hosts will be required to check proof of vaccination from all event participants 12 years old and over. 10C team members will offer support with this process.
Member Events and Meetings at 10C
As the new Ontario-led vaccination mandate indicates, as of September 22, all event and meeting attendees will also be required to show proof of vaccination and photo ID to enter 10C.
Dialogue About Vaccination
10C strives to create spaces and places of safety, including physical, emotional and intellectual. We recognize that constructive dialogue about Covid, vaccination and health measures have been among the new skills we’ve all been learning since 2020. We encourage people, while you are at 10C, to feel that you are able to discuss Covid-19 and feelings of personal safety with staff, volunteers, and fellow members. We also encourage you to respect the reasons that people may have chosen to not be vaccinated, while maintaining your own personal and shared collective levels of safety including the public health mandated measures of masking, physical distancing, and hand hygiene.
Should challenges arise in this dialogue, the 10C staff team will strive to create safe methods to facilitate further conversation. As one of 10C’s main roles is to be an intermediary and supporter of all of those working for social change, members are encouraged to contact 10C staff, Associate Director, Katie Baikie ([email protected]) or Executive Director, Julia Grady, ([email protected]) with any questions.
10C operates on a trust basis, where we are all taking steps to support a resilient community, and we appreciate you joining us in this work.
Key Health & Safety Protocols while at 10C
Sign In – All members, coworkers and visitors must sign in on the clipboard at the front desk. This is mandatory for contact tracing, vaccination verification and monitoring the number of people accessing 10C. As the new Ontario-led vaccination mandate indicates, as of September 22, all people accessing 10C, including event and meeting attendees, will also be required to have proof of vaccination and photo ID to enter 10C. 10C will implement a revised sign-in sheet to include a checkbox for you to self-indicate vaccination status.
Self-screening – Before arriving at 10C, please review the self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms and use this provincial digital tool if in question of the protocols. If you feel unwell or have any Covid-19 symptoms, please stay at home. If you are awaiting Covid-19 test results, please do not enter 10C.
Masks – This is a reminder that the local and provincial masking mandate is still in effect in commercial buildings, workplaces and community event space settings. By order of the Medical Officer of Health (updated March 2021) FACE MASKS must be worn when entering 10C and at all times in common areas. A well-fitted and well-constructed face mask that covers their mouth, nose and chin will be required to enter 10C and at all times when inside any business or place that is open (with only these exceptions noted below for those VACCINATED):
- In a private office, meeting space or facility area (e.g. Nourish Kitchen) when you are alone;
- While eating or drinking;
- While participating in a religious rite that involves eating or drinking or otherwise reasonably requires the removal of the mask;
- While exercising or participating in an activity that requires physical exertion.
Eye Protection – Workers (including kitchen workers and volunteers in the kitchen) must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) that protects their eyes, nose and mouth, if in the course of providing services they are:
- required to come within 2 metres of another person who is not wearing a mask or face covering when in an indoor area or are not separated by plexiglass or some other impermeable barrier;
- 10C provides a choice of goggles or visors in the kitchen for use when 2 metre distancing is not possible. These can be sanitized between use by washing with soap and water and using the food-safe sanitizer and following the information poster on site in the kitchen.
Hand Sanitizer – is available at the front desk and on all floors throughout the building, including meeting spaces and coworking areas. All people entering the building must sanitize before proceeding further. And practice good hand hygiene in general.
Rapid-Tests – 10C has a limited number of antigen rapid-test kits available for staff and member use. If you would like to request one, please email [email protected].
Cleaning – 10C staff will continue to perform daily cleaning and sanitizing of surfaces.
Patio – Members are welcome to use, and meet outside at the small 10C patio on Carden Street. Construction has completed next door.
Please contact 10C with any questions at [email protected] or individually by emailing Julia Grady, Executive Director at [email protected] or Katie Baikie, Associate Director, [email protected], or by phone at 519.780.5030.
Julia, Katie and the team at 10C
Resources for additional Information:
O. Reg. 364/20: Rules for Areas at Step 3 and at the Roadmap Exit Step (August 2021 the legislation)
Reopening Ontario plan (outlining all 3 Steps)
Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health – Workplaces and Businesses
Vaccinated against Covid-19? What does it mean to me? (July 2021 Government of Canada colour-coded information chart)