Social Enterprise Grow-Back Better Coordinator (temporary part-time Canada Summer Jobs) – (PDF) – Apply by July 2, 2021
See full postings for each role below, or download PDFs above.
Social Enterprise Grow-Back Better Coordinator (Canada Summer Jobs)
10C Shared Space (10C) is the hub for community changemakers in Guelph-Wellington. We are a not-for-profit social enterprise working to create platforms (physical, virtual, networks and financial) for those working across sectors and engaging in collaborative environmental, social community development work to improve our community.
With approximately 200 members working across all social change sectors, 10C and its members play a strong role in building on our region’s reputation as a leader in sustainability, innovation and vibrant community engagement.
In addition to our downtown space, 10C’s priorities are addressed through internal programs revolving around placemaking, Sustainable Development Goals, social enterprise, social finance, social innovation, and community food. We provide opportunities for our members and the wider community of changemakers to connect, collaborate and share resources. 10C’s main activities are mobilizing teams, creating programs, and using collaborative funding and financing structures to address local socio-economic and environmental issues.
10C is involved in a number of urban agriculture programs and projects centred around food security and the circular food economy. The Social Enterprise Grow-Back Better Coordinator will provide support for these programs by developing and supporting hands-on initiatives that build prototype products for home and garden use as well as other 10C urban ag products and events. The Grow-Back Better Coordinator should have knowledge of basic construction, safe use of power tools, sourcing reclaimed and sustainable forested materials, the ability to sketch and draw plans, and a basic understanding of container gardens and raised beds. This role will also involve communication with community members and stakeholders, supporting the facilitation of urban agriculture educational events, and other tasks that promote the 10C space and urban agriculture vision.
10C is committed to learning, equity and building a diverse community in which everyone has the opportunity to thrive. We welcome team members with the knowledge and skills to productively work with diverse communities. 10C specifically encourages applications from those across race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities and lived experiences.
In this position, the Social Enterprise Grow-Back Better Coordinator will:
- Set up systems for a small woodworking workshop space.
- Ensure safety systems are appropriately designed and communicated to those working within the space. Review with 10C supervisor all insurance and safety practices
- With input from the 10C team and community, design, plan and build container garden products (planters, rainwater-benches, self-watering containers) and other urban agriculture products.
- Use design software, plans and tools to build prototype products with support from 10C team members, volunteer builders and students.
- Document designs, costs of materials and time to build for each product type.
- Recommend modifications for design improvements and simplification of design and construction and test building materials.
- Use keen attention to detail to ensure quality products.
- Take photos, write up product descriptions and documentation for online promotion and community engagement.
- Support the delivery and installation of these products in community locations and manage any maintenance or necessary product repairs.
- Use presentation and facilitation skills to support the planning and execution of community educational initiatives.
- Communicate with various community stakeholders throughout different stages of this project.
Compensation and Details:
- The work location is onsite at 10C Shared Space in Guelph (when public health measures allow). Work from Home and outdoor spaces in the meantime. Some offsite, evening and weekend work may be required.
- This is a part-time role based on 20 hours/week at $17/hour.
- The position duration is 16 weeks and the start date is July 14, 2021 (with some flexibility around start date, hours and position duration to accommodate fall school plans).
- Eligibility: Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 and meet eligibility criteria for the 2021 Canada Summer Jobs program. Preference will be given to applicants who are enrolled in or have completed a post-secondary program with a focus on: sustainability, urban planning, horticulture, environmental studies, food studies, etc. Students in other fields and high school students with related interests and experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Valid G2 or G license, with access to a vehicle considered an asset.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, move product, equipment and supplies up to fifty (50) pounds.
Please email your cover letter and resume, specifying Grow-Back Better Coordinator in the subject line, to [email protected], including your answer to the question, “What is your superpower?”
Application Deadline: Friday, July 2, 2021