Container Garden Program Assistant
After a pilot program in 2018 10C will be launching its Container Garden Educational Program in the spring of 2019. This program will bring container gardens to 2 – 3 outdoor spaces in downtown Guelph and provide workshops and education at 8-10 community events through the spring, summer and fall. The CSJ participant should have knowledge of gardening (vegetables, edible flowers and pollinators) with some hands on garden experience, understanding of basic principles of container gardens, valid driver’s license and be ready to engage with the public. The responsibilities of the Container Garden Program Assistant are:
- Plant and maintain the 10C container gardens outside on the seasonal patio on Carden Street, growing seasonal vegetables, herbs and edible flowers and engaging members in contributing to and harvesting from the gardens
- Support the provision of 4-6 workshops taking place in the summer months at 10C and at various community events including: Local Food Fest, Urban Farm Tour, Hillside Music Festival, aimed at engaging the public in container gardening and increasing the dialogue on the value of food and local agriculture
- Seek to engage upwards of 400 people, including a variety of newcomer groups in a hands-on way through the promotion these events, and the activities in the workshops and on-site at 10C Shared Space
- Develop outreach (e.g. through social media) and follow up emails focused on container gardening to continue to engage public in container gardening
- Help our team animate the 10C patio as an urban garden destination, a stop for people to look, learn and be inspired with a take-away, whether this is an idea, a skill, a postcard, a resource connection or a healthy landscape package
- Research and seek out content to showcase types of container gardens (slideshow, talk with a local guest speaker, short-film, etc.)
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, move product, equipment and supplies up to fifty (50) pounds
30 hours/week (June/July)
10C Shared Space is a Living Wage Employer
Please send application to [email protected] with email heading “Container Garden Program Assistant”
Applicants will be contacted for an interview before the end of May 2019. Deadline for applications is May 17, 2019
Community Animator Lite
Working within 10C’s busy social innovation centre, which offers coworking, community event space and connecting services, this CSJ participant will serve as a community host. 10C has expanded from 3000 sq ft to 15,000 sq ft of fully accessible, inclusive space and is a busy hub of activity. This position is ideal for an outgoing and enthusiastic communicator and has the following responsibilities:
- Welcome coworkers, and community and members into the space answer questions, provide tours and preparing event spaces
- Develop new outreach ideas to focus on diverse populations including members that service newcomers, indigenous communities and people with disabilities.
- Assist with administrative tasks to create workflow efficiencies
- Collaborate with 10C team and volunteers to participate in events inside 10C and within the community of Guelph including event planning and coordination
- Use promotional tools to increase engagement in 10Cs projects, initiatives, and events
- Build community around 10C and contribute to a lively and well-used community space
- Value inclusivity, work to make everyone feel welcome and create individual connections
- Synthesize evaluation research and related materials into easy to understand and shareable reports, articles and promotional tools. Materials will be used to inform and engage membership, increase opportunities for collaborative initiatives and demonstrate community impact of 10C and members.
30 hours/week, July and August 2019
10C Shared Space is a Living Wage Employer
Please send application to [email protected] with email heading “Community Animator Lite”
Applicants will be contacted for an interview before the end of May 2019. Deadline for applications is May 25, 2019
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION AVAILABLE
We seek a graduate research assistant to work with 10C Shared Space (www.10carden.ca), a not for profit social enterprise in the City of Guelph, to investigate and pursue potential grant funding opportunities to support 10C’s social innovation initiatives.
10C Shared Space is a platform for those working across sectors and engaging in collaborative work to improve our community within a social innovation framework. 10C offers downtown co-working and event meeting space that provides students, professionals and researchers working within Guelph a place to gather, exchange ideas and work for change. Through this work 10C contributes to deepening community relationships, opening new opportunities, and discovery of new ways to solve problems.
The research assistant’s activities will include:
- An environmental scan of potential funding opportunities to support 10C initiatives
- Working with the fundraising committee of 10C to identify specific granting opportunities to pursue, related to ‘fit’, 10C urgent priorities, etc.
- Background research necessary for the preparation of grant applications
- Drafting grant applications, with the support of members of the fundraising committee
The research assistant will report to and be supervised by Belinda Leach, 10C board member and faculty member at the University of Guelph.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can investigate opportunities for 10C with minimal supervision. Good writing skills are essential. Experience with grant writing and the ability to match 10C initiatives with grant criteria is a valuable asset. Knowledge of areas such as program evaluation, community development, social enterprise and Sustainable Development Goals, is also desirable. Experience and understanding of 10C would also be an asset.
We are offering flexible part-time work for a total of 120 hours, between May 1 and August 31 2019. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by April 22, 2019 to [email protected]. In the cover letter please indicate your writing and communication skills, relevant experience and research skills, and include three references.
Download: 10C GRA position.pdf