Jump to Content

Schedule F: Serving Alcohol On Site

10C Shared Space (10C), its members, and non-members will abide by the terms of the relevant Special Occasion Permit (SOP) issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Further, 10C, its members and non-members will ensure that only those with Smart Serve Responsible Alcohol Beverage Service Training Program certification will serve alcohol at any events held at 10C (www.smartserve.ca).

Additionally, as 10C Shared Space’s insurance policy does not have blanket liquor liability coverage, additional party and/or liquor liability insurance (PAL) is required for certain uses and users of the facilities located at 42 Carden Street (10C Shared Space) and 2 Gordon Street (Farmers’ Market) in Guelph:

  1. 10C Shared Space and its members (members of the organization) do not require PAL insurance for liquor liability, at events provided that we are not selling alcohol and the event is closed to the general public. This includes board meetings, small member gatherings offered by 10C and its members. If an event is open to the public, for example an art-opening, an SOP must be obtained.
  2. All other uses, including non-members with non-sale alcohol uses and any user of the facilities selling alcohol requires separate Party Alcohol Liability) insurance (or other comparable liquor coverage) and a Special Occasions Permit (SOP) for a private or public event as applicable. Comparable liquor insurance coverage may be structured as a non-member’s own commercial general liability insurance covering alcohol at off-site events. In this instance, the non-member would add both 42 Carden Shared Space and 10 Carden Shared Space to their policy as “additional insured” for the period of the event. A Certificate of Insurance would be required to be submitted to 10C Shared Space in advance of the event.
  3. Specific catering licenses may cover SOP and PAL insurance event needs, if this applies to your organization, please speak with 10C staff who will collect more information.
  4. A 10C staff event host (at $30/h, 2h min.) is mandatory for all community events that are serving alcohol. Event hosts have SmartServe certification.

In all circumstances, alcohol should never be served or sold by any individual or organization while any license required by law is suspended, or after such license expires, is cancelled or revoked, or the organization is knowingly in violation of any statute, ordinance or regulation. The SOP compliance form lists a number of responsibilities of the SOP holder, including that alcohol will never be served during unauthorized hours and or to a minor. Please review all of the terms related to the SOP once filed.

FAQ: Steps to take should you wish to use a 10C space (including the Farmers’ Market) and serve alcohol.

  1. Provide a written request to 10C to include alcohol in your event. Written requests can be through an email at the time of your event booking or as part of your initial event inquiry. The provision of alcoholic beverages on 10C premises must be approved in writing by 10C staff prior to your booking. Any unapproved alcohol distribution in 10C Meeting Rooms will result in the inability to book 10C space in the future, a potential financial penalty, and potential legal ramifications, as 10C is not a licensed facility.
  1. Visit the Special Occasion Permit (SOP) section at the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) website. To learn more and to sign up for an SOP:
  1. Insurance. If you have existing commercial insurance, call your insurance representative to inquire about whether your policy includes alcohol coverage for off-site events. If you require insurance, DUUO Insurance Brokers offer Event Insurance Coverage and Party or Alcohol Liability Insurance. Once you have reviewed details, during the online process, you will be asked to select level of coverage. You must select $5M liability insurance, as this is the amount of insurance required by 10 Carden Shared Space and 42 Carden Shared Space. Visit the DUUO Canada website for more information. duuo.ca/event-insurance
  1. Questions? A 10C team member (info@10carden.ca) can assist with questions to help direct you to the Special Occasions Permit (SOP) from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario and to PAL insurance when required. Please leave at least 3 weeks prior to your event to coordinate permits and insurance.
  1. Confirmation and Waiver. You will need to sign your agreement with this Schedule when you make your booking.